I am always fascinated by new opportunities for customer satisfaction techniques presented by the internet, social media and mobile technology. Here’s an offering that is both a marketing tool and a form of reference gathering and dissemination; a technological spreading of positive word of mouth.
Luna Park, a theme park in Sydney, Australia, has implemented an application that integrates smart phones, bar code readers, photo taking devices, Facebook and email to provide a real time feed of what users are doing at the theme park to their Facebook friends plus a summary of the day. It’s called My Experience.
Here’s how My Experience works.
Once you have registered using the “Login with Facebook” button, you will be all set to receive:
- Your Extreme-O-Meter rating – The more rides you go on, the higher your score! You can link your wristbands with other people who come to Luna Park to compete for who’s the most extreme. At the end of the day, your Extreme-O-Meter rating is posted to your Facebook Newsfeed so all your friends can see how extreme they are!
- Status Launcher – lets you easily update and share your status as you exit the Ranger Ride, right when the adrenalin’s pumping! Simply SWIPE, PRESS and GO!
- Live Ride Photography – You will have your photo taken when you ride the Tango Train and it will be instantly updated to your Facebook Newsfeed so all your friends can “like” and “comment” on it in real time!
- End of Day Email – A complete summary of your experience at Luna Park (including the Extreme-O-Meter rating, photos and Status Launcher updates) is emailed to you at the end of the day so you can forward it to any friends who might not be on Facebook.
Sharing is the best part of My Experience, but if your not ready to tell the world how much fun you’re having just yet, you can still take part. You simply register without using the “Login with Facebook” button to receive the End of Day Email and nothing will be shared to Facebook.
How do I get “My Experience”?
After you buy an Unlimited Rides Pass, here’s what you need to do:
1) Register at www.myexp.com.au (from 2 July 2011) using your smartphone
2) Go on heaps of rides!
3) Get your photo taken on the Tango Train ride!
4) Check your phone throughout the day for exclusive SMS offers!
5) Go on the Ranger Ride and press the button on the Status Launcher which best describes how you’re feeling!
6) Check your Facebook profile to see if your friends have “liked” or “commented” on your photos and updates (this step only applies if you used the “Login with Facebook” button to register)
7) Check your Facebook profile or End of Day Email to find out your Extreme-O-Meter rating! (It’s based on how many times you go on rides)
How does My Experience gather Testimonials?
During the day, there are posts to your friends on Facebook about what rides you are taking and a picture of you on a ride and a score on how ‘daring’ you are. What is this? It’s a testimonial for the theme park. Indirectly, the act of posting a stream of actions taken by users is providing their friends word of mouth feedback using Facebook that they are having fun and after the fact, that they had fun, at Luna Park. Or they can send an email to their friends with a Luna Park supplied summary when it is all over, if they don’t want to use Facebook. Great word of mouth!
This new service is an excellent marketing tool as well, as it sells expensive photos taken during a ride and provides promotional offers from vendors at the park using texting technology.
I have included a video that provides more information from the My Experience website.
Can you see application of this kind of technology in your business?
P.S. If you want to receive more of this great content, fill out the form beside this post or at the bottom of the screen or on this page and get a free report and new blog posts sent to your email address.