Jeff Jarvis, author of What Would Google Do? one of my favorite books and Dell Hell, has posted a story called ‘An Amex Member no more‘ about his recent experience with his American Express credit card and why he is no longer is a member. This is a classic case of misalignment between management and the service organization.
It is also a case of an organization that forgot what made it great:
1. They no longer gives Continental Miles
2. They charge additional Fees for Foreign Currency transactions (they didn’t do that before)
3. They didn’t notice that Jeff had stopped charging purchases to his card. No flag went up in their organization to check on why.
4. When he called to complain, they just tried to sell him a more expensive card.
5. When the service rep realized the customer was really unhappy, she transferred him to another department but rather than dealing with his problem, this service person tried to sell him Amex travel services.
6. Jeff was disconnected from his call (could be an accident or maybe not?)
7. When he called back to get another card, he just decided to cancel. No one tried to stop him.
The comments on this blog post are also very telling. It seems that Jeff isn’t the only one to find that Amex services have deteriorated. I have an Amex card but I have not noticed any changes in Canada. Have you had any recent experiences with American Express Card?
P.S. If you want to receive more of this great content, fill out the form beside this post or at the bottom of the screen or on this page and get a free report and new blog posts sent to your email address.